Amazon asserted that Cyber Monday was the ‘biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide’ in a press release on Tuesday morning.
With a combination of decent discounts on already low priced devices, and devices that themselves were pretty impressive in their own right, it isn’t hard to imagine Cyber Monday having not gone well for the Jeff Bezos-led company.
However, Amazon chose not to disclose its real sales figures (like always).
The Kindle family contains notable names such as the Kindle Fire (which was sold at just $129 on Cyber Monday), Kindle Fire HD (which is apparently “the most gifted and most wished for product on Amazon worldwide since launch”), Kindle Paperwhite (arguably the best e-reader around; read our review roundup about it), and, of course, the basic $69 Kindle e-reader.
Amazon has made a point of keeping its Kindles priced at as affordable a level as any competitor will ever manage. What it does equally well is providing a comprehensive ecosystem of rich content. Media, apps, games, ebooks – you name it, Amazon provides it.
That kind of user experience is only provided by Apple products, and since they are all practically three times as expensive as their comparable Kindle products, Amazon has carved a very, very successful niche for itself.
The press release from Amazon.com is as follows:
Worldwide Kindle Device Sales More Than Double Last Year’s Record Over Holiday Shopping Weekend
Cyber Monday is biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide
The top 4 spots on the worldwide Amazon best sellers list since launch nearly three months ago are Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov. 27, 2012– (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that this Black Friday and Cyber Monday were the best ever for the Kindle family, and the popular new Kindle e-readers and tablets remain at the top of Amazon’s best sellers list worldwide.
Milestones for Kindle sales this holiday shopping weekend include:
• Cyber Monday 2012 was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide.
• The top 4 spots on the worldwide Amazon best sellers list since launch nearly three months ago are Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires.
• To celebrate Cyber Monday, Amazon.com offered a special deal—just $129 for the Kindle Fire. Customers flocked to the deal, making this the biggest Cyber Monday deal ever for Amazon.com.
• Kindle Fire HD is the most gifted and most wished for product on Amazon worldwide since launch.
• 9 out of the top 10 best-selling products on Amazon worldwide since 9/6 are Kindles, Kindle accessories and digital content.
“Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires have held the top 4 spots on the Amazon worldwide best sellers list since launch, and that was before the busiest shopping weekend of the year,” said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. “We’re excited that customers made this Black Friday and Cyber Monday the best ever for Kindle worldwide—Cyber Monday was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales, and we’re looking forward to millions of customers opening a new Kindle this holiday season.”
The Kindle family is available for purchase on Amazon.com as well as at retailers like Best Buy, Radio Shack and Staples in time for the holidays:
• The $69 Kindle—small, light and fast, Kindle is the perfect entry-level Kindle for any reader.
• Kindle Paperwhite—the world’s most advanced e-reader—only $119.
• Kindle Paperwhite 3G—with the unparalleled added convenience of free 3G, no hunting for or paying for Wi-Fi hot spots, no monthly fees, and no annual contracts—only $179.
• Kindle Fire—all-new upgraded version of the best-selling standard definition Kindle Fire with a faster processor, twice the memory and longer battery life – all for an even lower breakthrough price—only $159.
• Kindle Fire HD—the world’s most-advanced 7” tablet, with a stunning custom HD display, the fastest Wi-Fi, exclusiveDolby audio, powerful processor and graphics engine, and 16 GB of storage—only $199.
• Kindle Fire HD 8.9”—comes with all the same advanced technology on a stunning 8.9” large-screen 1920×1200 HD display with 254 ppi and a powerful OMAP 4470 processor and graphics engine—only $299.
• Kindle Fire HD 8.9” 4G—the same high-end large-screen HD tablet, 32 GB of storage, plus ultra-fast 4G LTE wireless powered by the latest generation 4G chipset, and groundbreaking $49.99 one year 4G LTE AT&T data package—only$499.
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de,www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, and www.amazon.es. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management’s expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com’s financial results is included in Amazon.com’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
Source: Amazon.com, Inc.
Media Hotline, 206-266-7180
Release ID: 187